With love in the air at this time of year, we want to share with you some of the reasons why the Vancouver community loves your library.
Here is why we are so lucky to have YOU as a supporter.
1. Your support means that everyone in Vancouver is able to access inspiring materials and unleash their imaginations.
“I’m living 100 lives through reading. I love my library!”
2. The library is a special place that connects people and combats the loneliness that come with both life changes and city living. You are a part of it.
“I met one of my best parent friends though library time with my oldest child and met up with another friend at the current babytime. I made great connections during sometimes lonely maternity leaves.”
3. Our donors ensure the library is a place where everyone can access arts and culture. Many community members are pleasantly surprised when the library is flooded with music or they learn that they can check out musical instruments.
“Was leaving the library after [a] long day of studying and heard the lovely jazz and lost myself in the surprising sound I heard. Magical. THANKS.”
“You guys, I visited the VPL yesterday for the first time. You can borrow a banjo, a harp, hand drums. They have a digital media lab where you can do your photoshops, they have a FREAKING RECORDING STUDIO. I promise I am not kidding.”
4. You keep the library as a welcoming first touch-point for visitors and newcomers. Your support connects people with language skills that they will use for the rest of their lives.
“The ESL conversation circle has really helped me to learn more about Vancouver and has improved my confidence in speaking in groups.”
5. You help to bridge digital divides and socio-economic gaps. Patrons appreciate that they are able to get the information they need at the library and that the library is free, always free.
“Without the Internet, my life would be difficult beyond measure. Like it was only a few years ago when there was no Internet for the public. Back then, I had to rely on libraries. Like I do now: because, as cool as the Internet is, it doesn’t do what libraries do…I need the library system to make this work. I need the libraries to guide me through the maze of details to find the treasure hidden therein.”